Second man charged with murder over Ballymena death

A second man has appeared in court accused of the murder of a 63-year-old man in Co Antrim last week.

Mario Menezes, 33, of Portmore Street in Portadown appeared via video link at Antrim Magistrates’ Court sitting in Ballymena to face a single charge of murder.

He indicated he understood the charge when it was put to him.

A detective said he believed he could connect the accused to the charge.

No bail application was made during the brief hearing of the case, however, it was indicated to the court that one may be made at the next appearance.

The case was adjourned until 25 August when Mr Menezes is set to appear via video link before Ballymena Magistrates’ Court.

Victor Hamilton was found dead in the driveway of his home in Orkney Drive in Ballymena last Wednesday morning.

Another man appeared before a district judge yesterday, accused of the murder of Mr. Hamilton.

Mamadu Saido Djalo was remanded in custody.

The 29-year-old, from Springfield Crescent in Belfast, appeared before Coleraine Magistrates’ Court, sitting in Ballymena, via video link from Musgrave Street police custody suite in Belfast.

During the short hearing, he spoke only to confirm he understood the charge he was facing.

A detective sergeant told the court he could connect Mr. Djalo to the charge.

Blaine Nugent, representing Djalo, said he was not in a position to make an application for bail and requested that the case be listed again in a week’s time so a bail application could be made.

Deputy District judge Philip Mateer remanded Mr Djalo in custody until 8 August when he will appear before the court again.

A 23-year-old woman arrested in Belfast on Friday by detectives investigating the murder was released on bail on Sunday pending further police inquiries.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.