David Klemmer Eels transfer blocked, mid-season move, Knights prop, Parramatta Eels, Newcastle Knights, loan deal, transfers, contracts, news

The Parramatta Eels reportedly were blocked in their attempts to sign Knights enforcer David Klemmer for the remainder of the 2022 season on a loan deal.

Reports circled Sea Eagles prop Marty Taupau would make the short move, but that play was rejected by Manly coach Des Hasler.

Brad Arthur then turned his attention elsewhere in a bid to secure a front rower before the August 1 deadline, but Knight’s powerbrokers also denied the request according to The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield.

Stream every game of every round of the 2022 NRL Telstra Premiership Season Live & Ad-Break Free During Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

“They contacted Clint Zammit, who took it to Adam O’Brien and the senior management at the Knights… they made the decision, and they made it about an hour ago that they would not realize him,” Rothfield said on NRL360.

Rothfield revealed there were a number of sticking points that were unable to be negotiated, including the length of the deal.

The Eels reportedly wanted Klemmer on a short-term loan, but the bustling prop wanted a longer contract to extend his stay at Parramatta past 2022.

“I think there were too many issues involved in the deal, David Klemmer, to join Parramatta for these five games, wanted two years, not just the last year of his contract,” Rothfield said.

“And there were a lot of things like this they couldn’t sort their way through.”

Is O’Brien under pressure at Knights? | 05:59

MORE NRL NEWS

TALKING PTS:Silver lining in Panthers’ Cleary nightmare; Bellamy’s big fear laid bare

TEAM TIPS: Kevvie’s Broncos headache amid star’s ban, Panthers’ new look halves

‘LAUGHABLE’: Five incidents that highlight the NRL’s staggering foul play inconsistencies

TRANSFER WHISPERS: Eels’ desperate call to land Manly star; Roosters’ rake switch

‘COULD NOT COMPREHEND’: Manly’s crisis meeting as angry text messages revealed

‘SILLY THING TO SAY’: O’Brien under fire for talking himself up amid Knight’s accident

“So he would have gone for the remainder of this season and then another couple of seasons on top of that,” Fox League’s James Hooper said.

While the 28-year-old has been one of Newcastle’s best in 2022, Rothfield believes a move for Klemmer was entertained by Newcastle powerbrokers and could have been finalised.

Knights coach Adam O’Brien was said to have met with club bosses on Monday afternoon who reportedly “wouldn’t have fought too hard to keep him”.

“I can’t sit here and say that definitely, but what I am hearing within the club they wouldn’t have fought too hard to keep him,” Rothfield said.

“If the right deal could have been done, why would that have been? He is only 28, he has been around, he has played Origin, he has played Test matches.

V’landy’s moves transfer deadline | 03:02

“I think there is a feeling around that the club that Klemmer hasn’t fitted into game plans like they’d probably hope he had this year.

“That he might take one or two too many carries each half, when Joey has trained them during the week to switch it or spin it or whatever.

“I just think he can be a hard guy to coach, and that is why I am saying that I don’t think they would have tried overly hard, they wouldn’t have kicked him out the door, but that is why they entertained it today.”

Get all the latest NRL news, highlights and analysis delivered straight to your inbox with Fox Sports Sportmail. Sign up now!!

.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.